In September 2020, the Somaliland Government authorised the emergency use of the COVID-19 vaccine; making it available to heroes in the first line of defence. The decision aims to protect the heroes since they are at most risk due to the nature of their work. The use of the vaccine will be fully compatible with the regulations and laws that allow a faster review of licensing procedures.
The evaluation of the vaccine for emergency use was based on:
- a declaration by the global health authorities of an emergency leading to a serious or life-threatening disease or condition
- the availability of scientific evidence that proves the effectiveness of the product intended for emergency response
- the safety of the use of the vaccine
- the evidence that the known and potential benefits of the product outweigh the known and potential risks.
The evaluation was carried out for emergency use, taking into account the following:
- the target groups
- product characteristics
- preclinical and clinical study data
- population study and all relevant available scientific evidence.